Thursday, January 05, 2006

Fifteen-week ultrasound

Here it is -- the fifteen-week ultrasound. The baby is in mid-kick.

It was an abdominal ultrasound instead of a vaginal ultrasound, so it's not as clear as previous ones. I really ought to label it.

For a printable version, click here.

I wasn't actually scheduled for an ultrasound this time, but the midwife couldn't pick up a heartbeat with the handheld doppler thingie she had. It turns out the placenta is right in front, which prevented us from hearing anything. It's also going to prevent me from feeling the kicks as soon. :(

Other bad news: The midwife informed me that only five percent of their patients get epidurals. Five percent! The national average is sixty percent! She said the national average is so high only because most people go to big metropolitan hospitals that have expensive OB anesthesiologists on staff, which they have to pay for somehow. In other words, hospitals encourage women to get them unnecessarily to help pay for the anesthesiologists. I have money! I'll pay for the epidural!

The five-percent thing upset me so much that I actually started crying right there, which was humiliating. Now that I'm pregnant, I cry all the time, and I hate it.

You know, my previous OB (who I left b/c I didn't like him) said that half of his patients get epidurals. What have I done?

6 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

He's going to be a soccer player!!

I'm surprised you didn't inquire with her before you switched. Hang in there!!!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I figured no one could possibly be worse than the original OB. And as a matter of fact, everyone at Bay View OB/GYN has been really nice. I liked Dr. Wilder a lot, and I liked this midwife, Debbie, too. Dr. Rider is VERY popular. I was just talking with a coworker who called last month to make an appointment with Dr. Rider. The earliest opening is May. Imagine that! So everyone is really nice, and Dr. Wilder seemed very supportive of pain medication for labor, so I'm totally shocked that they only have a five-percent epidural rate. I just can't get over it.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My placenta was in front too so it took a while for me to feel the kicks, now I wish he would just stop moving :-)It is getting quite crowded in there. I remember when I still up north hearing that epidurals up there weren't very common unless you went into labor during "normal" business hours. So happy I live in a "big" city now. Maybe you should just move down here, my doctor is GREAT you would love him.

Well hopefully only 2 weeks left for me. Believe me times flies up till the last few weeks so enjoy yourself now.

Toodles
Danielle

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Danielle, my friend Kristi said the same thing: "Having the placenta in front might be a blessing. Sure, you won't feel the kicks as soon, but by the end, you'll be grateful."

You remember correctly. If you're ready for your epidural during business hours, there are no problems at all. Nights and weekends -- when most babies are born -- are the problem.

About two years ago, a coworker's wife told me that if the anesthesiologist who is on call doesn't feel like coming in, he doesn't have to. However, I called the OB department and spoke to the nursing team leader, who told me that absolutely wasn't true. An epidural is a regular procedure and he's required to come in to administer it. However, she went on to say that she thought a couple of anesthesiologists there terrible about dragging their feet. But then she assured me that things have gotten lots better in the past two years or so, and that 98% of women get the epidurals that are ordered for them.

I think the biggest obstacle around here is physicians and midwives who don't advocate epidurals and encourage their patients to try to go au naturel. I should be okay if I'm firm about insisting on getting one.

Or maybe I'll chicken out and head over to T.C. at the last minute. They have a dedicated OB anesthesiologist over there...

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica, I'm a bad bad grandmother to be...I just got around to reading this thing and what do I see but my first choice in name for a girl is yours too--AGATHA-RAH RAH RAH--or should it be Ha Ha Ha. Love Mom D.
PS Don't worry about not feeling the kicking-- soon you'll be saying, "Is this kid ever going to quit kicking me in the ribs?" I know that's what I said with Bob.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, that Bob strikes me as a rib kicker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home