Thursday, December 15, 2005

The OB/midwife dilemma

Locally, my choice of OBs is really limited. We have two single-doctor practices and one group practice with three doctors. That's a grand total of five OBs, and because three are in a group practice, you can end up with any one of them for the delivery. So in a way, there are three choices: Dr. Cook, Dr. Sypniewski, and Drs. Rider-Wilcox-Wilder. Of these three choices, one is the jerk I mentioned in a previous post, and one advocates natural (drug free) births, so that has left me with Drs. Rider-Wilcox-Wilder.

When I saw Dr. Wilder last week, I liked him a lot. He asked if I'd considered the midwife route. "Oh, no," I said. "I don't want a natural childbirth." He smiled and replied, "Our midwives aren't the granola-eating, natural-childbirth type." So I started thinking hard about midwives. I think I just might get a midwife. I like the idea of knowing who's going to be there for my birth and that she'll be there the whole time.

The trouble with midwives is that my choices are even more limited. The local hospital has exactly three affiliated midwives. (Two of them are associated with the group practice of Drs. Rider-Wilcox-Wilder.) Of these three midwives, one is on maternity leave! Two midwives in the whole town... I have an appointment with one next month.

7 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Read This said...

Don't go with the midwife. Splurge a little. Go with the fullwife. Sure you may not get the gas mileage you would get out of the midwife, but the comfort and ease of use will more than make up for it.

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder who the midwife of the the midwife on maternity leave is. That's who you should pick.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Excellent advice from you both! :)

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica, It is Danielle (the one down south)I just heard the good news. Congrats!! It is funny the first time I had my ultrasound done the littel one was about the size of a lentil bean so he quickly got the nickname of Lentil.
I chose the Ob over the midwife, one becuase of my medical circumstances and two the only one in my ob office is crazy, all about the natural childbirth stuff. I mean we have drugs for a reason.
Just wait till you start feeling him/her move it is the most amazing thing. i have just about 4 weeks left!!
Tell Bobby I said way to go!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Danielle, thanks! You have just four weeks? (I know... "just" four weeks? Who am I kidding? Don't worry! You'll make it!) I'll make sure I pass on your congrats to Bob. :)

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica,
I've had them (babies) all ways. I like the natural way with a little numbness in the bottom. I don't know what it is called, I'm sure you young people do.
Toward the end you are going to yell GIVE ME DRUGS!!!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Well, Gran, I think I'm going to be yelling at the beginning, "Give me drugs!" -- because I have no desire to try it the natural way. If you can believe it, I don't really know the official name for natural with a little numbness on the bottom. Imgaine that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home