Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Five days of full bed rest

I've been out of commission for five days b/c Dr. Wilcox (not my regular OB) recommended full bed rest. When I saw my regular OB today, Dr. Rider, she was in shock. When I told her that Dr. Wilcox ordered full bed rest, she literally said, "No! He didn't!" Yup, he did.

Yes, my blood pressure was five points higher than the week before, but she didn't think that seemed like cause for full bed rest. "Oh, but it wasn't the blood pressure," I said. "He didn't recommend the bed rest until he saw the protein in my urine."

But it turns out that the amount of protein in my urine falls into the totally normal range! Someone nonpregnant is likely to have the same amount of urine in her protein. She finally concluded that Dr. Wilcox "must've had a brain freeze." She could account for it no other way.

So good news all around: My protein levels are fine, I don't have preeclampsia (not yet, anyhow), and my blood pressure has gone down slightly, although it's still elevated. (Last Friday it was 124/90, which is officially high. Today it was 118/80, which is merely elevated again.)

I still can't believe I did five days of total bed rest for no reason...

In other news, Dr. Rider seems to think I won't be going much past 38 weeks. I'm not sure why she thinks this, but she seems to think it'll be necessary to induce me around that time. I wish I'd questioned her more on this. I won't be able to ask at my next two visits b/c they're both with someone else. And my next visit after that is my 38 week visit, which could be D-Day.

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

OMG!!!!! I can't believe that you may have a baby in two weeks!!!! I can't wait to meet Kidney Bean!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Hi Val,

I'm glad you're excited, b/c I'm terrified! :)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

OMG! I can't believe it's coming up so soon either!

Charlie and I were just talking about you yesterday, wondering how you were holding up in the hot weather.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I'm holding up fine. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the most comfortable pregnant woman ever. Sure, I'm experiencing some discomfort, but nothing is as bad as I expected it to be at eight months. I thought I'd be miserable, but I'm not.

This isn't helping at all with respect to wanting to "get it over with." At this point, I'm supposed to be eagerly awaiting labor and delivery for no other reason than wanting to be unpregnant again. Not so. As far as I'm concerned, Kidney Bean can stay in there for lots longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home