Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Big baby?

Just came from the doctor's office. Saw a fabulous OB named Dr. Rider. She's the best! I love her to death and wish she could deliver me.

Gained another five pounds, which makes fifteen pounds so far this pregnancy. Blood pressure remains excellent. However, baby appears to have had an early growth spurt. I'm twenty-four weeks, but my uterus is measuring thirty weeks! This was unexpected because so far, every ultrasound and uterine measurement has been right in line with my due date.

Even though Dr. Rider didn't say so, gestational diabetes springs immediately to mind. The sugar test is standard at twenty-four weeks, so I was scheduled for it. However, if it weren't standard, I'm sure she would have ordered it for me. You can't ignore such sudden growth. If I'm still measuring large at the next visit, she'll order an ultrasound. If my sugar test show high-blood sugar levels, though, I hope they won't wait until my next visit to tell me.

Oh, yeah. Fantastic news! You know how you're not supposed to eat undercooked eggs? Well, that rule only applies to egg whites! I can start eating my eggs over easy again! Laugh if you will, but eating them scrambled has been a real sacrifice for me. :)

Forgot to mention: Slight hint of edema.

7 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

I totally understand the egg sacrifice!

I only eat eggs over-easy, but in a pinch I will eat scrambled mixed with lots of hashbrowns, cheese and veggies. That way they don't taste so bad. :)

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don;t worry I had a growth spurt about this same time. They say it is quite common for boy babies at this time.
Don't worry about the weight gain either, Brooke gained a total of about 40 lbs during her pregnancy. It is the one time no one can chastise you for gaining weight :-)

Danielle

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Zoe, I don't think the edema is a big deal. Not severe yet. Still wearing my shoes. :)

Danielle, you think I'm having a boy? So does the doctor. She said a lower fetal heart rate (under 150 beats per minute) indicates a boy baby half of the time.

And in case anyone's not paying attention, the doc was making a joke. No matter what anyone guesses, it'll be right half the time because half of babies are girls and the other half are boys. :)

I can't help worrying about the weight gain. It's not healthy to gain too much, and it puts the baby at risk. Let's not forget how skinny Brooke is! She could afford to gain forty pounds!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Ew! Eggs! :D

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

What? You don't like eggs?? I don't understand.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

I hate eggs! Ack!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jess, for YOU i got a blogger account so you could see by my post that i have read your blog. it took about 2 hours. if i ever get time to post to my own account, you should check it out! my guess is that it will be awhile before that happens, so no need to check often or anything. any new dreams lately? i think your twins might have been bob and the baby. hi bob!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home