Saturday, November 05, 2005

Pregnancy test

I'd been sick all week, so I took a pregnancy test. The digital readout says, "Pregnant." My husband laughed at me for taking this photo.


I'd actually been having other symptoms for three weeks, but I thought I was PMSing. Go figure.

I rushed to Quick Care for a definitive blood test, but doctors know that false positives on home pregnancy test are almost unheard of. (The false negative is the only thing you have to worry about.) The blood test really narrowed it down by revealing that I was anywhere from five weeks to twelve weeks pregnant. (I'm really glad I bothered.) Fortunately, a simple bit of math was able to help. I couldn't be more than five weeks along because a blood test on October 3 came back negative.

After spending most of the day in a state of elation, I started spotting that night. Generally, spotting at five weeks isn't much to worry about (it's known as implantation bleeding), but half of all women who spot eventually miscarry, so I couldn't help worrying. Worse, I spotted for four days, which is longer than usual. A subsequent blood test revealed that my pregnancy hormones were on the rise, so all was well.

2 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Grandma Mumich said...

Jessica,
This is the first time I read the pregancy test. Very interesting! I knew I was pregent with in two weeks, just by how sick I got right away. :-)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Technically, I began to get sick within two weeks, too. But the way they track pregnancy these days, they start counting from the day when your last period started (which is about two weeks before you get pregnant). This means that anyone who is "four weeks pregnant" has actually been pregnant for only two weeks. The baby itself is only two weeks old, but the pregnancy is considered four weeks along. Weird, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home